We tell stories that matter.

Manual RedEye

We tell stories that matter.

Manual RedEye

We tell stories that matter.

Manual RedEye

Support Us
$1005
$2500

Your donation will support the student journalists of duPont Manual High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

REVIEW: Ramen House restaurant

Dia Cohen
Pictured above is the Bibimbap Bowl, a rice bowl served with a sweet sauce and various other toppings.

Driving down Bardstown Road, the cultural center of the Highlands neighborhood, the constant buzz of activity feels the air. If you’ve ever wandered down Bardstown Road looking for a place to eat, you know the high volume of restaurants can be overwhelming. Situated within this hub of activity, Mid City Mall, a shopping center on Bardstown Road, is home to a public library, grocery store, nail salon, and martial arts studio. 

Nestled between the mall’s Louisville Free Public Library branch and the Baxter Avenue Theatre, there is a quaint and cozy Japanese-inspired restaurant: Ramen House. With a line of hungry customers spilling out the door, Ramen House is constantly humming with servers running and customers entering and leaving. Upon arrival, the dizzying rhythm of the restaurant activity heavily contrasts with the welcoming lull provided by the music and intimacy that the restaurant offers. Although tables are close to each other, Ramen House, a two-story dimly lit establishment, its cream-colored walls lined with Japanese frameworks, provides a welcoming atmosphere fit for small parties to enjoy.  

Since 2017, when the restaurant first opened, Ramen House has provided customers with traditional Japanese cuisine. The menu provides a wide variety of vegetarian options and vegan options. Customers can select from appetizers, and entrees consisting of ramen and donburi (rice) bowls and desserts.

Spicy Garlic Edamame

The restaurant’s Spicy Garlic Edamame is an elevated take on a classic Japanese appetizer. The dish is presented with a chili pepper and a spicy drizzle. Although the drizzle makes the dish a bit messy, the bold spicy flavors complement the edamame beans well, making the mess worthwhile. The spice level starts low but gradually increases, creating a complex flavor and a desirable burn. 

Vegetable Buns

A pair of open-faced Vegetable Buns come in a metallic mini-taco dish. The buns offer a pleasant textural balance, with crunchy vegetables, coated in a savory sauce, and a sweet, doughy exterior. The differences in texture and flavor come together to form complex vegetable buns.

Bibimbap Bowl

A Bibimbap Bowl provides customers with an exquisite vegetarian dish constructed with a multitude of flavors and textures. The rice bowl is served with an egg, surrounded by sprout seeds, carrots, and sweet greens. At a simple glance, the dish appears simplistic; however, its odor hints at the harmonical dance of sweet and spicy flavors and silky and crispy textures. The egg yolk coats the fluffy, but otherwise average rice with a rich, buttery flavor that elevates the sweetness and crunchiness of the vegetables. 

Vegetarian Ramen

In its quest to provide customers with an ambiance that portrays Japanese culture, the Vegetarian Ramen delivers. With a dash of soy sauce, the Vegetarian Ramen creates a salty and warm flavor profile, reinforcing the comforting atmosphere that the restaurant projects. Although simple, the similar flavors throughout this dish are very flavorful.  

Overall, Ramen House provides a family-friendly environment at an affordable price. Accompanied by a cuisine full of battling flavors, the restaurant provides customers with a memorable experience. In short, this charming little restaurant is perfect for those looking to try classic Japanese dishes within a comfortable establishment.    

About the Contributors
Dia Cohen
Dia Cohen, Photo and Design Editor
Dia Cohen is the Photo and Design Editor for Manual RedEye this year. She loves to read, play piano, draw and stargaze. She is passionate about covering criminal justice issues. In short, she's a real renaissance woman. You can contact her at [email protected].
Lydia Morgan
Lydia Morgan, Staffer
Lydia Morgan is a staffer on the Student Life team of Manual RedEye. In her free time, she enjoys dancing, reading and spending time outside. You can contact her at [email protected].
View Comments (1)
$1005
$2500