How the duPont Manual Dazzlers stay champions

The Dazzlers performing at the homecoming pep rally 2023.
Ava Blair

The Dupont Manual Dazzlers have quickly become some of the most well-known dancers across the United States. The Dazzlers are known for their eye-catching, unique hip-hop routines that have won numerous regional, state, and national championships. Along with those already impressive awards, they also received a world champion gold medal in 2022 for their excellence and precision in hip hop. These dancers are no joke, and each dancer has a specific routine and helpful ways to keep their bodies prepared and healthy throughout the season and off-season.

Brooke Reed (12,HSU) the captain of the dazzlers, Savannah Bennett (12,YPAS) and Autumn Harper (11,YPAS) have all been a part of the duPont Manual Dazzlers since their freshman year at Manual. From dancing at their studios to transitioning to a prestigious team during a global pandemic was difficult. These three talented dancers and their team have preserved and thrived in this program.

Being a part of a varsity sport is demanding and time-consuming as they have had to balance school, life, and dance to succeed in all aspects of life. Though all three dancers mention the importance of prioritizing their bodies and staying fit and healthy off the dance floor as almost more important than the work done in practice. That means staying active constantly.

“It’s very important to take extra care of your body during the season,” said Reed, all three of these dancers agree that taking care of themselves is a vital part of the Dazzler life. 

These dancer’s take their physical health extremely seriously, as they must be at peak condition to perform their best at practice and competitions. Bennett explains that getting plenty of rest the nights before and after practices to allow her muscles to mend and recover from long days. Harper adds that she makes sure to eat at least three meals a day in order to stay physically fit and healthy throughout the season. She also emphasizes the importance of drinking plenty of water during the day and during practices.

It is expected that the team will have practices a few days in a row, so sleep, food, and water are mandatory if these dancers want to put their best foot forward when entering practice the next day. Another thing Bennett mentions that she prioritizes after challenging practices is taking Epsom salt baths and applying KT tape to her body to cure sore muscles and help with overused or ongoing injuries. Her physical health is essential, but each dancer also mentioned the importance of their mental health during the hard dance season. Protecting and caring for their mental health is the most crucial part of their week to perform to the best of their abilities in competitions and practices.  

“I try to give myself patience after hard practices and have space to process my thoughts and emotions when Dazzlers may become too mentally taxing,” said Bennett. Although she loves what she does in Dazzlers more than anything, like most people she gets overwhelmed and Bennett often resorts to cognitive behavioral therapy when life feels out of control, something that has positively changed her life. 

“Therapy has been an incredible resource that has helped me to find positive coping skills to help deal with life and team-related stressors,” said Bennett. Bennett believes that regardless of how you think your mental state may be at a time, it is always essential to utilize therapy options, if and when available, especially as an athlete. 

Overall, any athlete or student can take a lot away from these tips that they dazzlers use in order to better their performances. The dancers all agree that you may find your mind and body feeling better if you implement some of these strategies into your life and daily routines. Stay updated with the Manual Dazzlers on their instagram. As they work hard to prepare some incredible routines to share with the student body and the world.

About the Contributors
Liv Ashley
Liv Ashley, Staffer
Liv Ashley is a staffer for Manual RedEye. You can contact her at [email protected].
Ava Blair
Ava Blair, Sports Editor
Ava Blair is the sports editor for Manual RedEye this year. She enjoys sports photography, watching NFL football, listening to Taylor Swift and playing lacrosse. You can contact her at [email protected].