Students gather for one of the first Bollywood Dance Club meetings.
Aly Peeler

Manual students begin new Bollywood Dance Club

Manual’s new Bollywood Dance Team, affiliated with the ISA (Indian Student Association), is a new club opportunity offered to all Manual students. 

The team will introduce a brand new variety of dance styles to Manual’s performance repertoire, as well as a fusion of other traditional dance styles. The club hopes to offer members flexibility within what they wish to perform, while also allowing for an introduction to alternative dance styles that may be unfamiliar. 

“…not only are we exploring styles of Bollywood, but we’re integrating styles such as Salsa,” said Club President Trisha Tyagi (11, MST).

Bollywood is a modernized form of dance that has evolved from traditional Indian dance. The style features cinematic elements like bold facial expressions and high-impact body movements. When put together with colorful lights, vibrant outfits and high spirits, Bollywood dance is a story telling artistic medium. The dance style is predominantly featured in Hindi films, where elaborate dance numbers occur to make the scene particularly impactful. 

Members can expect to perform not only at school functions, such as the Multicultural Fair, but local competitions and presentations. Dancers who are not able to provide their own personal performance attire will work with the clubs’ outfit director.

“Our team embodies the vibrant essence of Indian culture through our dance performances. I am privileged to contribute to our group’s dedication, creativity, and passion,” said Sohan Sen, the club’s Website Manager. 

Sen, an experienced Bollywood dancer, reflects on his own experience in conjunction with joining the team.

“Together, we bring to life the magic of Bollywood with synchronized moves and spirited choreography. It’s an honor to inspire our team towards unforgettable performances that celebrate the beauty of our art,” Sen said. 

The Bollywood Dance Club also hopes to serve as a hub for students of Indian descent as well as other students who hope to bolster their cultural literacy through dance. 

“Being Indian I have to say that, dance is truly a way of connecting to so many people, whether they’re in your community or not,” Tyagi said. 

Ultimately, the goal of the club is to place more significance on cultural practices within Manual, as well as increase awareness for students who practice dance styles that are not as well known within the Manual community. 

“..maybe potentially we can get YPAS to start teaching different styles, maybe the Dazzlers, or other teams will be interested in our performances,” Tyagi said. 

The club plans on holding weekly meetings and practices on Fridays in Room 122 from 2:30 to 3:30. All students are welcome. 

More information can be found on the team’s instagram: @dmhs_bollywood_dance