Support Us
$1005
$2500

Your donation will support the student journalists of duPont Manual High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Manual changes morning entry procedures to accommodate new weapons detectors

Students will only be able to use two entrances to enter the school in the mornings. Image courtesy of Manual Administration

This story is part of continuing coverage. For Manual RedEye’s prior investigation into the efficacy of Evolv weapon detectors, see this story.

Manual administration released an open letter to the school community on Monday, announcing that the recently-installed Evolv weapons detectors will be activated the week of February 5. The letter details significant changes to morning entry procedures to facilitate the use of the detectors.

Prior to 7 a.m., Manual will only allow students to enter the school through Entrance 2, where a weapons detector is stationed. Entrance 2 is located on the northeastern side of the school on South 1st Street, close to Noe Middle School, and connects to Center Hall. Car riders who arrive prior to 7 a.m. will be expected to walk around the gym and proceed the length of the school to enter through Entrance 2. After 7 a.m., car riders may enter through Entrance 22 by the courtyard and use the weapons detector installed there. All bus riders will now enter the school through Entrance 2, regardless of arrival time.

According to the letter, cars will not be permitted to remain in the student parking lot prior to 7 a.m. to wait for the courtyard entrance to open. However, the letter does not mention the possibility of students themselves waiting outside of the courtyard entrance instead of walking to Entrance 2. All of these morning protocol changes will go into effect on January 31 so that students and staff can adapt before the weapons detectors go live next week.

The letter claims that the administration is taking measures to “[ensure] that your entry to school is not delayed” by allowing students to “walk through the sensors without removing concealed belongings or being separated from personal items.” If the detectors flag an area of a student as holding a potential weapon, the letter claims “a trained staff member will then search the area indicated in the alert.” 

In previous coverage, Manual RedEye reported that Evolv weapon detectors feature a false alarm rate of up to 60%. This rate increases when students are not advised to remove common false alarm-triggering items‒ such as binders, AirPods and Chromebooks‒ from their bags and pockets before passing through the detectors. Students should be prepared to undergo searches if harmless items trigger the detectors, and arrive early to school to ensure they can enter in a timely fashion.

The letter offers the following recommendations to “ensure a quick entry for everyone”:

“1. Select clear and plastic school supplies over covered/concealed and metallic

when applicable.

1. Use three-ring binders with plastic spines/rings (non-metal).
  2. Utilize plastic (versus metallic) BPA-free water/coffee bottles.
  3. Use hard plastic eyeglass cases (versus metal).
  4. Students should “pack-light” and limit the number of items in bags or other equipment.
  1. Keep superfluous metallic items home (game consoles, beauty products, USB drives).
  1. Laptops and umbrellas will be passed around the technology via a staffed table.”

Stay tuned to Manual RedEye for updates once the weapon detectors go live.

Caleb Masterson
Caleb Masterson, Staffer
Caleb Masterson is a staffer for Manual RedEye. He enjoys videography, creative writing, and voicing his opinions about local and national news. He is passionate about history and science, and in his free time, you can find him reading, retro gaming, or adding to his coin collection. You can contact him at [email protected].