Design by Isabella Edghill
Design by Isabella Edghill

BHM: Events around Louisville for Black History Month

There are many ways to celebrate Black History Month around Louisville, from watching a powerful movie about Black culture to visiting one of the city’s many Black owned businesses. Highlighted below are Black History Month events in Louisville that may interest students.

The Louisville Free Public Library is hosting over 50 free events celebrating Black History throughout February, including movie watch parties, bingo, performances and special teen events. Here are some to check out:

• Feb. 3: Underground Railroad in Kentucky

2-3 p.m. at the South Central Regional Library

• Feb. 13: Teen Trivia Night: African American Achievement

4-5 p.m. at the Main Library

• Feb. 17: Teen Poetry Workshop

3-4 p.m. at the Western Library

• Feb. 21: Teen Black History Film Series

4:30-6 p.m. at the Main Library

• Feb. 25: Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

1:30-4 p.m. at the Main Library

The Frazier History Museum is hosting an event to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the March on Frankfort, a 1964 peaceful civil rights protest with guest speakers Martin Luther King Jr. and Jackie Robinson. The event will feature live performances and guest speakers who organized and participated in the March. The event is free, but does require registration.

• Feb. 22: March on Frankfort: The 60th Anniversary

6-7:30 p.m. at the Frazier History Museum

Carmichael’s Bookstore and the Louisville Free Public Library are teaming up to host journalist Michele Norris and special guest Charles Booker as they discuss Norris’s new book “Our Hidden Conversations: What Americans Really Think About Race and Identity.” This event is free, but does require registration.

• Feb 16: Michele Norris with Charles Booker at the Louisville Free Public Library

7 p.m. at the Main Library

Many museums in the Louisville area are dedicated to highlighting African American history and culture all year round. Here are a few to check out this month:

Pose with Jackie Robinson and see Hank Aaron’s bat up close in this interactive exhibit. The museum is open from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 10 a.m.-4 p.m. on Sundays, and requires paid admission.

The Kentucky Derby Museum’s informative exhibit tells the stories Black people who have helped shape the horse racing industry and the Kentucky Derby. The museum is open from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday through Saturday from 11 a.m.-5 p.m. and on Sundays from 12-5 p.m. and requires paid admission.

In this museum dedicated to the boxing, Louisville and Civil Rights legend, you can learn all about Ali and try your hand at boxing yourself. The museum is open from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Wednesday through Sunday and requires paid admission.

This museum features exhibits about all facets of Black culture and history from slavery, to the Civil Rights movement to the Black Lives Matter movement. Roots 101 is open from 10a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday and requires paid admission.

And, of course, duPont Manual High School will be hosting the annual Black History Month Program on Feb. 29. 

About the Contributor
Isabella Edghill
Isabella Edghill, Webmaster
Isabella Edghill is Webmaster for Manual RedEye this year. She enjoys reading and playing the violin, and is passionate about exploring issues around diversity, identity and empowerment. You can contact her at [email protected].