Members of BSU strutted across the stage in a variety of fashionable outfits, from plaid suits to homemade outfits. Photos courtesy of Erica Fields. Design by Aaron Ziegler
Erica Fields

BHM: First ever ‘We Are One’ Fashion Show takes place

This Friday marked the first annual ‘We Are One’ Black History Month Fashion Show, created through the efforts of Manual’s Black Student Union (BSU) and Manual teacher Nicole Finley (English). 

Featuring students across the black community of Manual, especially those apart of BSU, a variety of outfits were presented in the fashion show. From plaid suits to Nike suits and home-made outfits to designer outfits, those participating not only showed off their outfits but also themselves. 

When asked what he thought the fashion show means in terms of black history, BSU board member and emcee for the show, Anthony Northington (11, HSU), said that, “More than anything, validation. Validation for the black students in the school as well as the black influence on fashion culture…..[F]or our school to allow us to have our moment and share that with the rest of the school is a beautiful thing.” 

With a little under 25 participants, including Principal Dr. Michael Newman, viewers enjoyed this shared moment of black culture, fashion and music, which was played over loudspeakers as the fashion show occurred. 

Northington later said the fashion show “went wonderfully for what it was….we were able to make the most out of the situation that was spontaneous–a little–and people are able to go out there, have fun, be comfortable in their own skin, [and] be validated by their community.” 

Viewer and BSU member Amari Bernhard (11, MST) agrees saying she really liked the fashion show and noted that it is “nice” that “we have a safe place within Manual to be ourselves.” Similarly, Jaiyvon Wright (11, HSU), a BSU member who also attended the fashion show, said that “I love how we were able to express ourselves and give a bit of ourselves to show off our personalities and show off not only that, but our culture as well.”

With the first ever ‘We Are One’ Black History Month fashion show now concluded, Northington notes that “we are excited to do it again next year….[and that] it’ll be bigger next year and even better!”

Katie Dikes
Katie Dikes, Staffer
Katie Dikes is a staffer on Manual RedEye. She loves to write about all things sports, as well as covering Manual athletic events. In her spare time, she loves to listen to 80's music, watch any and everything sports-related, bake, binge Netflix, and read cheesy romance novels. You can contact her at [email protected].