The charming Four Pegs Smokehouse and Bar

Street view of Four Pegs.
Street view of Four Pegs.
Stella Kolers

Celebrating Louisville’s Award-Winning black owned smokehouse, Four Pegs

Located at 1053 Goss Avenue in Louisville, Four Pegs Smokehouse is an award winning restaurant, specializing in barbecue, pub grub and beer. The owner of Four Pegs, Chris Williams, decided to create the smokehouse after owning Cafe 502, a barbecue food truck, for nearly seven years.

“I was kind of outgrowing the truck, and I wanted to have a place where I could bring people food all the time,” Williams said. 

When he’s not running the smokehouse or food truck, Williams is busy winning the 502 Chili Cookoff or Food Network’s Big Bad BBQ Brawl. On top of his personal achievements, Williams’ restaurant has won many awards including recognition from LEO Magazine. 502 Cafe and Four Pegs are both regarded as some of the best in Louisville. 

For Williams’ prestige in the food industry as a black business owner, he has faced a share of adversity. Occasionally, Four Pegs receives hateful messages on their bathroom walls and Facebook posts, as well as loathsome comments from people driving by. Though, the backlash isn’t stopping Williams from being a successful business owner.

“I’ve learned that you can’t really let people like that get to you,” Williams said. 

“I would say just seeing people come in and eat the food they love is the most rewarding part of owning a restaurant,” Williams said. “My favorite thing about feeding someone is when they take a bite, they smile, and they start nodding. Just making people happy is so rewarding.” 

Throughout the success of his restaurant, Williams has made a point to give back to the community is a member of BuyBlackLou and consistently supports charitable organizations that prevent poverty and suicide. 

“We’ve donated to a lot of organizations, including Feed Louisville. We have also taken the smoker and the food truck out to places and just set up and given away food to people that need it,” Williams said. 

Due to Four Pegs’ great success and popularity in Louisville, Williams is continuing to expand the business. Currently, Four Pegs is undergoing a remodel, doubling the size of their kitchen, and adding a rooftop seating area. Additionally, Williams  recently purchased a stand in Cardinal Stadium, for football fans to enjoy some of Louisville’s best wings. 

Four Pegs has a bright future ahead. Along with expanding what he has now, Williams has aspirations to open another location of Four Pegs.

“I’d like to open a drive through wing and French fry place, and call it Four Pegs: Just Winging it,” Williams said. 

The adversity and success that Williams has faced is a testament to his hard work and dedication, not only to the food and making people happy, but to giving back to the community as well. 

About the Contributor
Stella Kolers
Stella Kolers, Staffer
Stella Kolers is a sophomore staffer for Manual RedEye. She enjoys playing volleyball, listening to music, and spending time with her friends. You can contact her at [email protected].