Support Us
$1005
$2500

Your donation will support the student journalists of duPont Manual High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Manual begins counting tardies from Evolv weapons detectors

Students+file+into+the+front+entrance+of+Manual+in+the+morning.+Photo+by+Isabella+Shory.+
Guest Contributor
Students file into the front entrance of Manual in the morning. Photo by Isabella Shory.

This story was submitted by Isabella Shory (9, J&C).

On March 4, Manual began counting tardies from the Evolv weapons detection system on student records. Previously, tardies from the detectors were not recorded, according to Manual Attendance Clerk Virginia Horsley. 

Manual introduced the Evolv system on February 6, causing a 30-minute delay to classes. The detectors require students to remove items such as metal-ring binders, laptops and spiral notebooks, causing long lines to form at the school’s three available student entrances. The attendance office was flexible with tardies to allow students to adjust their schedules and arrive earlier to school. 

According to the student handbook, students are allowed up to three tardies per semester before they face disciplinary action. 

Vivien Englund (9, MST) has been tardy twice because of the system prior to March 4, despite having arrived at school at 7:30 and 7:32 a.m., 10 and 8 minutes before classes start. Englund disagreed with the decision to begin recording the tardies on students’ records. 

“I understand why they have to call the tardies, but I think that they could just be more understanding about how some kids can’t control [arriving] 10 minutes earlier,” Englund said. “If everyone has a tardy, it’s not on us. It’s on you, the school.” 

Assistant Attendance Clerk Becky Richards understands the challenges that the Manual administration is facing around the Evolv system. 

“They are constantly having to weigh safety concerns versus efficiency,” she said in an interview. “And I think anytime you put those two things together, there’s bound to be a learning curve and it will be trial and error in some ways.” 

JCPS purchased the Evolv weapons detection system, which uses sensors and artificial intelligence to identify weapons, in July for $11.7 million. The district plans to implement the system in all of its middle and high schools. 

Evolv is currently facing a lawsuit from a student in New York, alleging that the system failed to detect the knife used in the student’s stabbing.

In February, a practice run of the system detected a gun at Pleasure Ridge Park High School, a fellow JCPS school included in the Evolv rollout. 

View Comments (1)
$1005
$2500