The team huddling together. Photo by Lydia Adams
Lydia Adams

Baseball falls to Tates Creek in shutout

On Friday night, Manual’s varsity baseball team matched up with the Tates Creek Commodores. The Crimsons struggled to get offense going and had several key errors which led to runs by the Commodores. Manual ultimately fell to Tates Creek by a score of 0-6. 

Chase Chamberlain (#27, 12) started as pitcher for the Crimsons. The Commodores were able to get on the board quickly at the top of the first inning, scoring one run. 

At the bottom of the first, James Cameron (#19, 12) led off with a single, but three outs quickly followed. The Commodores led 1-0 at the end of the first.

Tates Creek put up another run early in the second inning. Multiple runners got on base for the Crimsons but were left stranded. Zach Morris (#31, 12) hit a line drive for a double and Owen Walker (#3, 12) was walked when the Tates Creek pitcher hit him on a pitch. Manual had opportunities to score in the second but failed to capitalize on them. 

“I think we weren’t here collectively…[we] just didn’t play our game fundamentally,” Walker said.

Errors plagued the next few innings for the Crimsons. To start the third, Tates Creek had a lead-off triple caused by a Manual error. However, the Crimsons returned the punch with a double play to down two basemen and forced Tates Creek into a scoreless inning.

The Crimsons were able to load the bases with only one out at the bottom of the fourth, but were once again unable to get home. Wes Cameron (#5, 10) appeared to steal home on one play, but he was ruled out. Tates Creek scored twice at the top of the fifth, both because of Manual errors and they headed into the sixth inning with a 5-0 lead.

To begin the sixth, Manual made a pitching change. Wes Cameron entered the game to relieve Chamberlain and was able to produce a scoreless inning as the Commodores popped up three balls in a row, all of which were caught by Crimson outfielders. However, Manual was still unable to score.

The seventh inning included two walks for Tates Creek and an eventual run, once again scoring on a Crimson error. With the final score being 6-0, Manual was shut out for the first time this season and fell to a 7-3 overall record. They will look to bounce back from this game over the break, heading to Myrtle Beach to face multiple out-of-state schools. 

“I think the main focus is just flushing all the emotions we have right now. We knew this team was going to be good coming in… we need to look forward to the opportunity we have this week,” Walker said.

Lydia Adams
Lydia Adams, Staffer
Lydia Adams is a sports staffer on RedEye. In her free time, she likes to run, read, and watch a lot of sports. Her favorite teams and Louisville and the Cincinnati Bengals. You can contact her at [email protected].