Support Us
$1005
$2500

Your donation will support the student journalists of duPont Manual High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

How to prevent hearing loss due to earbud use

The use of a listening device at no more than 60% of the maximum volume for no more than 60 minutes at a time can help prevent hearing loss. Image courtesy of the Center for Disease Control

AirPods, headphones, earbuds or other small audio devices can be found in the backpack of almost every American high schooler. Everyday listening devices have become popular in the last ten years, prompting users to question the impact it has on their hearing. 

As of 2022, 72% of all teens in the U.S. own AirPods and 80% wear earbuds or headphones for one to three hours a day. A survey of Manual’s general population revealed that 43% of people wear earbuds for one to three hours a day, 45% for three to eight and 11% for eight or more hours. At Manual the rules of earbud usage varies class to class, however, many students use them during transitions, lunch and before and after school.

“I’d say I wear my earbuds about 6 hours a day especially at school because it helps me focus,” Kimberly Reyes (11, YPAS) said.

“Yes, kids wear their earbuds too much…. It’s a safety concern for the health of their ears and themselves and because they often can’t hear things around them,” Ms. Nicole Finley (English) said.

One to three hours a day adds up to be about seven to 21 hours a week. Students offered three main reasons for using earbuds so often- concentration, decompression and recreation. Between the practicality and popularity of personal listening devices, high Gen-Z usage of these products doesn’t have a promising end in the near future.

According to kidshealth.org hearing loss due to earbud use is 100% preventable using the 60/60 rule. The rule applies to the use of a listening device at no more than 60% of the maximum volume for no more than 60 minutes at a time. Not everyone thinks 60/60 is the recipe for success though.  

“Listening at 80% volume is generally safe for about 90 minutes of listening,” Dr. Katie Martin, an audiologist at Louisville Family Audiology, said.

Although earbuds are easy to pop in to enjoy music or podcasts, doctors say the best way to take preventative measures is following the 60/60 rule as mentioned and most importantly using these devices in moderation.

The easiest way to protect yourself from hearing loss is to prevent excessive or prolonged exposure to loud noises,” Dr. Martin said.

If you feel like you may be experiencing hearing loss symptoms consult with your primary care doctor.

Jayden Stroud
Jayden Stroud, Staffer
Jayden Stroud is a staffer for Manual RedEye. She loves doing RedEye social media. She loves all things music and wearing lots of bracelets. (Ask her for a playlist and she will give you a kiss). You can contact her at [email protected].