Support Us
$1005
$2500

Your donation will support the student journalists of duPont Manual High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

AP Exams Start Today: What Manual students need to know

Starting+in+May%2C+students+at+Manual+and+around+the+country+begin+taking+AP+tests.+Design+by+David+Schenk.+
David Schenk
Starting in May, students at Manual and around the country begin taking AP tests. Design by David Schenk.

May 6, 2024, marks the start of the Advanced Placement (AP) exams period, which will continue up until the final week of school. As the academic year draws to a close, Manual students are intensifying their last-minute preparations for AP exams.

As students are leaping into the bulk of AP materials to make last-minute progress on final preparations for the upcoming AP exams, starting today. These rigorous assessments, administered by the College Board, offer students the opportunity to earn college credit while still in high school, making them both critical and popular courses for many Manual students. For students, the pressure is on to perform well, with limited time remaining for studying and in-class materials. 

Currently, Manual offers 33 AP courses (the most offered in any high school statewide), ranging from Calculus and Biology to World History and English Language and Composition; a significant number of students are affected by the AP season.

Today’s AP exams include three courses; Government and Politics, Art History, and Chemistry. KSA testing was also held for Juniors, covering the Science portion of state testing.

This year, some students will be taking their exams digitally. This new rollout of exam format year will apply to only eight courses: AP Computer Science Principles, AP English Language and Composition, AP English Literature and Composition, AP European History, AP Seminar, AP U.S. History, AP World History: Modern and AP African American Studies.

Many different sources are extending support through offering guidance, resources, and encouragement in order to foster success for AP students. One of the most prominent of these resources are the AP Daily Videos. These are videos designed by the College Board to give refreshers on previous units and help students study for their exams. The videos are released daily, and are available through AP Classroom. 

“The best way I think to study for [AP exams] is to do practice tests; that helps for most of the tests. Just doing practice tests and understanding the wording of the AP exams is really important because sometimes they can get confusing,” Prthu Naik (MST, 10) said.

Amidst the buzz of preparing for KSA testing, upcoming graduation celebrations, and summer vacation, many students are feeling overwhelmed and strained by the intense pressure that permeates May. Balancing AP exam preparation with end-of-the-year projects, final exams, extracurricular commitments, and state testing, can be a daunting task, leaving many feeling overwhelmed and stressed. 

However, with perseverance and determination, students are pushing through, determined to demonstrate their academic prowess. There is no better time than now to practice discipline and learn the right skills to succeed.

On your testing days, don’t forget to bring your needed supplies; a picture ID, two #2 pencils and two black or blue pens, and a snack for the break between testing sections. If you are taking a math related exam, remember to bring an approved calculator that’s charged!

As future testing draws near, one thing is certain: Manual students are rising to the occasion, and are more than ready to showcase their knowledge and skills on one of the most rigorous assessments of their high school careers. And while summer may be just around the corner, students know that there’s still work to be done before they can kick back and relax.

David Schenk
David Schenk, Staffer
David Schenk is a staffer on Manual RedEye. When he's not writing, he enjoys photography, podcasting, and apples in his free time. You can contact him at @[email protected]