Liv Kunkle (#24, 11) pitches the ball, while Payton Russell (#4, 9) and Kenleigh Cates (#7, 10) prepare to field the ball. Photo by Katie Dikes
Katie Dikes

Varsity softball falls short to Butler

This past Monday, the girls’ varsity softball team lost to Butler, 3-2, at George Sauer Athletic Complex. 

Before the start of the game, the three softball senior players were celebrated for their four years of commitment and play, including Emilia Clemons (#18, 12), A’kajiah “AK” Sparrow (#2, 12) and Natalie Piccirilli (#27, 12). Players received bouquets and were celebrated alongside their parents, Principal Dr. Michael Newman and Athletic Director, David Zuberer. Clemons also had the honor of throwing out the first pitch.

In the top of the first inning, Butler was up to bat first. The Lady Crimsons’ got their first out on a bunt. Following that, a Butler player hit a line drive up to right field, making it to first base in time. Another Butler player hit the ball up to the pitcher’s mound. Though thrown to second base to get the lead runner out, the ball was dropped. However, it was then picked up and thrown to third base, allowing for the second out. Then, Liv Kunkle (#24, 11) threw her first strikeout of the night for the third out. 

In the bottom of the first inning, Manual’s first out came from a pop-up hit. Following that, Butler’s pitcher had her first strikeout of the game. Then, a line drive up to first base resulted in the end of the inning. 

The score remained 0-0. 

In the second inning, things heated up. Though Kunkle got her second strikeout of the night for the Lady Crimsons’ first out, a big hit to left field resulted in a triple. A hit up to the pitcher’s mound and the resulting throw to first base allowed for the second out, but resulted in Butler scoring their first run. Another hit up to the pitcher’s mound resulted in the third out. 

In the bottom of the second inning, Hailey Kincaid (#14, 11) started out the inning strong with a single. Payton Russell (#4, 9) followed suit with a single of her own. Unfortunately, her single hit resulted in the first out as Kincaid tried to advance to second base. Russell then stole second base following a few pitches. Brooklyn Bing (#21, 9) then hit a pitch up to the center of left field, allowing Russell to score. Bing then stole second but the Lady Crimsons’ mojo was cut short when the second inning ended after a Butler strikeout. 

The score was now tied, 1-1. 

The third inning resulted in no runs, however, both a Butler player and Savannah Renn (#23, 9) had huge double plays. 

The score still remained tied, 1-1. 

By the time the fourth inning came around, it was a quick three and out for the Lady Crimsons’ defense. Following Butler’s at-bat, Manual came out strong. Russell hit another single. She later stole second base and third base after a wild pitch. Piccirilli then hit a single, allowing Russell to score. Manual was able to put a few more runners on base, but Butler’s defense remained strong.

After four innings, Manual now led Butler, 2-1. 

In the fifth inning, Butler was able to gain back some momentum of their own, scoring after a Butler hit over Russell’s head allowed a runner at second base to score, and multiple instances of base stealing. When it came time for Manual’s at-bat, Butler’s defense was quick to shut them down, with a quick three and out after a pop-up hit, a line drive and a strikeout. 

After five innings, the score was tied again, 2-2. 

In the sixth inning, both Butler’s and Manual’s defense remained strong, with no change in the score. 

By the time the seventh and final ending had rolled in, Butler leaped ahead with a big hit out to the fence, resulting in a double and a dropped pop-up ball allowed runners to be safe in the corners. Though a hit up to first base resulted in an out, Butler’s leading runner was able to score. A walk by Kunkle put the runners on third and first bases again, but the Lady Crimsons prevented any more runs by catching a pop-up hit. 

Bing was first up to bat and after hitting a couple of foul balls, she finally hit a ball all the way out the left field on the third base line, resulting in a triple. Bing then tried to advance to home plate after a pop-up hit resulted in the first out, but she was tagged out by Butler’s catcher, resulting in the second out. A hit up to the pitcher’s mound and the resulting throw to first base got Butler their third and final out ending the inning and the game. 

The Lady Crimsons lost to Butler, 3-2.

About the Contributor
Katie Dikes
Katie Dikes, Staffer
Katie Dikes is a staffer on Manual RedEye. She loves to write about all things sports, as well as covering Manual athletic events. In her spare time, she loves to listen to 80's music, watch any and everything sports-related, bake, binge Netflix, and read cheesy romance novels. You can contact her at [email protected].