Girls basketball defeats Oldham Co. in season opener

The Manual Lady Crimsons defeated Oldham County 58-37 last Tuesday, December 2 in their first game of the season.

Centers China Brown (11, #34) and Angelica McBride (11, #24) perform their secret handshake in excitement for their first game of the season. Photo by Spencer Kincaid

The Lady Crimsons started off strong, going up 15-5 at the end of the first quarter, and remained in the lead with 32-20 at the half.

“I thought it was good for our first game out,” Head Coach Jeffrey Sparks said. “We tried to press and create a lot of pressure. I’m overall pleased with our first game.”

The Lady Crimsons held their own on defense, forcing several turnovers and getting most of the rebounds.

Sophomore guard Tonysha Curry (#23). Photo by Spencer Kincaid

“We forced a lot of turnovers,” Sparks said. “I’d like to see us convert those points into some points a little bit better, but we did a great job trying to pressure people.”

The Lady Crimsons got into some foul trouble throughout the game, but this did not stale the team They continued to convert on the fast break points and their free throws.

“We were called for a lot of fouls,” Sparks said. “A few were some questionable calls, but overall we can get better starting tomorrow.”

The Lady Crimsons will play at home against Shawnee at 7:30 p.m. this Friday, December 5th.