Photo by Luke Smith.
Photo by Luke Smith.

This Week in Manual Athletics: May 22

Baseball

The team finished their regular season going 2-1 on the week. On Monday they obliterated Valley 10-0 in five innings, on Tuesday they soundly defeated Desales 7-1 but suffered a blow when outfielder Will Britt (11, #5) got hit right above the left eye in the bottom of the sixth inning. After the injury the game was called. On Thursday against a very good PRP team, the Crimsons fell 4-0. It is now tournament time and the Crimsons will start play at home in the 25th District Championship Game against Central on Monday. First pitch set for 6:00 p.m. If the Crimsons can play solid baseball and get the win, that will give them a lot of momentum going into a very wide open regional tournament.

Softball

Softball also concluded a very good regular season going 3-2 on the week. On Monday they defeated Sacred Heart 12-0 but fell on Wednesday to arch rival Male 9-0. After defeating Spencer County 6-4 on Thursday, they split the two round robin games on Saturday defeating Tates Creek 4-2 and falling to Warren East 1-0. It was an overall great regular season for the team and they look like real contenders for a regional title. Their tournament journey begins in the first round of the 25th District Tournament where the number one seeded Crimsons will host number four seeded Central at 4:30 p.m. on Monday.

Girls’ Tennis

The State Singles and Doubles Girls’ Tennis Championships were held this week at the University of Kentucky. The highlight of the event for Manual were sisters Maha and Meena Pattabiraman (10) who got all the way to the state doubles quarterfinals. As only sophomores, the future is definitely bright for these girls. Expect to hear these names in the coming future a lot.