Restaurants known too well by Sara Duley is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0. No changes were made to the original image. Use of this image does not indicate photographer endorsement of this article.
“Restaurants known too well” by Sara Duley is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0. No changes were made to the original image. Use of this image does not indicate photographer endorsement of this article.

Five underrated restaurants in walking distance of Manual

Old Louisville has many restaurants with a variety of foods, treats and snacks. However, Manual students don’t seem to take full advantage of the restaurants near the school.

While Cardinal Towne proves enticing, here are five other underrated restaurants near Manual that students should explore when they get tired of their burritos and sandwiches from Cardinal Towne.

5. Einstein Bros. Bagels

Einstein Bros. Bagels offers a unique take on your usual American foods. From breakfast to lunch, each of their sandwiches are on a certain type of bagel, sometimes with melted cheese on top.

They have several vegetarian and vegan options but offer your typical deli meat that a sandwich shop would offer, just on a bagel. They also have a variety of sweets with several types of cookies and muffins.

“Einstein Brothers” by Jewish Business News is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0. No changes were made to the original image. Use of this image does not indicate photographer endorsement of this article.

Make sure to try the Cheesy Mac Breakfast sandwich or Cheesy Mac Lunch sandwich, both of which are your typical breakfast sandwiches on a fun bagel bun, costing only around $5 and the Original Bagel Dog, which is similar to pigs in a blanket, when you visit. They are open 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. everyday except Saturday and Sunday.

4. Maira Mediterranean Grill

Maira Mediterranean Grill prides themselves on their high quality Mid-Eastern and Indian food at decent prices. 

“Local pita delivery” by Scott Newton is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0. No changes were made to the original image. Use of this image does not indicate photographer endorsement of this article.

Their main dishes are a variety of kababs, consisting of chicken, beef or shrimp. You might also want to check out any of their numerous vegetarian options including salads and other platters.

If you visit, try the beef shawarma, which consists of shredded beef wrapped in pita bread and topped with a special garlic paste. The shawarma is large and is well worth the $9 price tag. They are open Monday through Friday from 10:30 a.m. to 9 p.m.

3. The Ville Grill

The Ville Grill takes a unique style on restaurant dining. They offer an all-you-can-eat, buffet style meal that will never leave you hungry.

“Ville Grille” by Sherman Carter Barnhart is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0. No changes were made to the original image. Use of this image does not indicate photographer endorsement of this article.

Their menu varies from day to day but they always have vegetarian and vegan options. They also now offer take-out. They are open 7:00 a.m. for breakfast Monday through Friday and again at 4 p.m. for dinner, Monday through Sunday. Their buffet prices are usually around 10 dollars, but vary depending on the day and season. 

2. Burger Boy

Burger Boy is a homestyle restaurant that provides home-style cooking for reasonable prices. Their retro feel makes you feel like you’re at a diner back in the ‘70s.

They have several types of breakfast food, from sausage and eggs to omelets. They also have several burgers and sandwiches for lunch. Burger Boy has a pretty large menu, so there is something for everyone.

Burger Boy is open 24 hours, every day of the week. I suggest the classic Burger Boy Combo which comes with a double cheeseburger, fries and a drink for about $8.50.

1. Hill Street Fish Fry

Hill Street Fish Fry is arguably one of the best seafood restaurants in Old Louisville, just behind Seafood Lady, which is also an excellent restaurant, but not in walking distance from Manual.

“Hill Street Fish Fry” courtesy of Matt Coddington.

Hill Street Fish Fry prides themselves on their cooked to order rolled oysters, clams and scallops but also offers excellent codpieces that are small enough to keep yourself from getting messy.

While their prices can be somewhat expensive, I suggest trying their specialty, the Super Whitefish Sandwich and onion rings, which will set you back about nine dollars. They are open daily, except Sunday and Monday, from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Reece Gunther
Reece Gunther, Editor-in-Chief
Reece Gunther was a co-Editor-in-Chief of Manual RedEye for the 2019-20 staff. He enjoys spreading kindness, helping the less fortunate and promoting laughter. You can often find him listening to podcasts or exploring the world around him, from parks to volunteer opportunities. You can contact him at [email protected]