We tell stories that matter.

Manual RedEye

We tell stories that matter.

Manual RedEye

We tell stories that matter.

Manual RedEye

Support Us
$1005
$2500

Your donation will support the student journalists of duPont Manual High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

OPINION: Louisville’s response to the homeless crisis is insufficient

Aly Peeler
Louisville’s homeless, or unhoused population, has a dire need for assistance. Design by Aly Peeler.

Every winter as Louisville experiences some of the coldest days of the year, the city’s thousands of homeless suffer severely, and not enough is being done to aid in reducing their suffering. Shelters are filled, and resources are minimal. Over half of Louisville’s homeless population lacks access to shelters. Without proper care, these individuals are left to bear the brunt of the harsh outdoor conditions. 

As a result of the lack of shelter allocated for the homeless, an estimated 700 people die of hypothermia annually nationwide. According to the Centers for Disease Control, hypothermia can occur even at temperatures of 40 degrees if the individual is wet or submerged in water. So, the risk of developing extreme cold is significantly increased by unpredictable weather patterns including rain, snow, sleet, and even general moisture – all typical of Louisville winters.

The danger of hypothermia in unprotected homeless is increased as many use drugs or alcohol and are unable to recognize the risks of remaining unsheltered during extreme chills or storms risk of bodily harm or death in homeless during severe weather.

For many unhoused people, quality food is difficult not only to get but to hold onto. With no fridge or freezer, and fresh produce having a limited shelf life, they are left with severely limited options. And, of those limited options, they all must be able to be eaten straight off the shelf with no cooking and minimal prep.

Not to mention, poor nutrition causes significant health issues. Some of the most common are alcoholism and drug usage. Both pose many long-term ailments such as increased risk of stroke and heart disease. This, combined with many other factors unhoused people face, can be devastating.

Despite these consequences of being unsheltered as an unhoused person, the Louisville Metro Police Department (LMPD) has continued the rampant destruction of homeless camps around the city.

Even worse, the notices given to those affected by the clearings are typically uninformed until up to 24 hours before they occur. This is due, in part, to the misuse of local ordinances and the memorandum of understanding. These typically give a grace of 21 days for residents of the campsite to vacate. However, there are exemptions to this. When a campsite poses a “significant danger” or is on “campsite banned” property, the site can be cleared immediately, without any notice.

The city must start holding LMPD accountable for protecting all Louisville residents. Louisville should be placing much more emphasis on giving resources and funding to organizations that are providing relief for homeless individuals. 

While there are some pathways to housing as the number of impoverished and unhoused Louisville citizens increases daily, there are ways for us as individuals to help. Participating in local food drives or soup kitchens can aid in easing the hardship felt by our unhoused neighbors this winter.

Some Louisville shelters needing necessities include Wayside Christian Mission, Salvation Army Center of Hope, and St. Vincent de Paul (Men only). Donatable items include toilet paper, non-perishable canned items, toothpaste, blankets, pillows, winter coats, socks, shoes, and pet food.