Crimsons wreck the Warriors


Two Manual football players celebrate after a touchdown. Photo by Maya Joshi.

Maya Joshi

The duPont Manual Crimsons defeated the Western High School Warriors 31 to 0 last night in the third game of the season.

First Quarter

Both the Crimsons and the Warriors struggled to find their footing at the beginning of the game. Manual’s Eli Blakey (#14, 10) caught a would-be touchdown pass four minutes into the game, but officials called the play void due to an offensive pass interference. The Crimsons had a lot of fouls in the first quarter, and these setbacks, combined with Western’s strong defensive line, made it hard for Manual to get into a position to score. The Warriors likewise struggled against the Crimsons’ defense, which seemed able to quell any attempts Western made to advance.

Near the end of the quarter, the Crimsons blocked a punt made by the Warriors, but a flag on that play ended up granting Western possession of the ball and a first down. By the end of the quarter, neither team had scored.

Second Quarter

After the Crimsons received possession of the ball, Manual’s Aidan Robins (#7, 12) ran 24 yards for a touchdown, scoring the first points of the game, seven minutes into the second quarter. After the extra point kick by Patrick Holdener (#91, 10), the score was 7-0 for the Crimsons. Soon after Manual kicked off to give Western possession, the Warriors fumbled the ball, and it was recovered by Manual’s Clayton Awbrey (#11, 12), who ran all the way to Western’s three-yard-line. The Crimsons scored on the next play, and after the successful kick by Holdener, made the score 14-0.

The Warriors spent the remainder of the half putting a lot of pressure on the Crimson defense. They made a series of successful long passes that allowed them to get all the way to Manual’s eight-yard-line before the Crimson defense stopped them from progressing any further. The half ended with a score of 14-0, Manual.

Third Quarter

Western began the second half with possession of the football, but three minutes into the third quarter, Manual’s Michael Morgan (#6, 12) caught an interception. After an impressive run by Manual’s JuWuan Northington (#34, 9), it was first and goal for Manual at the 10-yard-line. The Warriors’ defense held firm, however, and soon the Crimsons were forced to kick a field goal. The kick by Holdener was good and brought the score to 17-0.

Western responded with another impressive string of passes and carries that brought them even closer to scoring, but the Crimsons kept them just short of the end zone. At the end of the quarter, the score was still 17-0, Manual.

Fourth Quarter

Two minutes into the fourth quarter, Robins made an impressive 39-yard carry to score another Crimson touchdown. After another successful kick by Holdener, the score was 24-0.

The two teams then proceeded to trade possession of the ball a few times, with Western fighting hard to earn some points on the board. Unfortunately for the Warriors, a string of fouls against them gave Manual’s DeAaron Robinson (#20, 12) the perfect opportunity to run in for another Crimsons touchdown.

Manual head coach Scott Carmony said that he “Love[s] it when we win,” while Robinson said that he, “[Wanted] to let my teammates know that we’re never going to give up!”

After Holdener’s successful kick, the score was 31-0. The Warriors attempted to score before the end of the game, but couldn’t get past the Crimsons’ defenses, and the final score was 31-0, Manual.

Western Head Coach Preston King said in response to the loss, “I think we’ve played hard the last 2 weeks, we’ve just been a little outmatched.” However, King’s no sore loser; “I wish Manual the best for this season.”

Warrior Xazayveun Goodlow holds the Crimsons in high esteem as well. “They’re 6A, they’re one of the best in the state, and I feel like we came out and competed,” Goodlow said.

Another Western player, Curtis Gain, was impressed by Manual’s team. “Y’all played hard, it was a good game,” Guin said.

“We’ll see you next Friday,” Carmony said, referring to Manual’s next game which will be against Ballard at the Ballard Stadium next week at 7:30 p.m.