Donald Trump smirks at the Mainstream Media as they barrage him with questions after a press conference. Photo by Whitney Webb at Common Sense Evaluation. No changes have been made to this image. Use of this photo does not indicate photographer endorsement of the article.
Donald Trump smirks at the “Mainstream Media” as they barrage him with questions after a press conference. Photo by Whitney Webb at Common Sense Evaluation. No changes have been made to this image. Use of this photo does not indicate photographer endorsement of the article.

President Trump’s trip to Louisville comes at the expense of the taxpayer

President Trump’s visit to Louisville on Wednesday included two separate events; a meeting with veterans organization AMVETS, and a private fundraiser for Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin, who is up for reelection this year.

Because the President’s visit included an official Presidential event, security and event planning was provided largely through local and state agencies, like Louisville Metro Police Department (LMPD) and Louisville Metro Department of Public Works, as opposed to private agencies.

As public services are funded by taxes, some had criticized the use of public funds for a Presidential trip that included a political fundraiser.

“I think that him using taxpayer money to come to Louisville to promote Bevin in the next election is not fair, especially when he’s cutting the budget for education and mental health research and awareness.” Annie Whaley (11, J&C) said.

Others had pointed to the fact that spending public money on private events gave Metro a bad look, as the city was forced to enact deep budget cuts for the current fiscal year.

“That money could’ve been put toward something beneficial in Louisville, especially since we’ve had to do things like close pools, libraries, etc.” Maddie Mattheu (12, VA) said.

Other issues accompanied the trip, including the fact that road closures and restrictions created long traffic delays, causing issues for many Manual students.

“Some of our [yearbook] staffers were talking about how their parents were stuck in traffic and that they might be late to pick them up.” Pieper Mallett (12, J&C) recalled.

As the city returns to normalcy after another visit from President Trump, many hope that the President thinks twice about making another visit to Louisville.

“Trump doesn’t stand for what I feel Louisville’s values are as a city.” Mattheu said. “I hope he doesn’t plan on returning anytime soon.”

Andrew Meiners
Andrew Meiners, Social Media Director
Andrew Meiners was a co-Social Media Director on Manual RedEye 2019-20. He loves politics, the culinary arts, and serving the community. You can often find him browsing Williams-Sonoma or blowing his paycheck at H&M. You can contact him at [email protected]