Manual celebrates seniors with virtual graduation and parade

Jayvon Rankin

Cap and gown pick-up

The first step to Manual’s end of the year send-off to the seniors will be picking up their caps and gowns and final materials on Saturday, May 23rd. The pickup will take place at The University of Louisville’s football stadium’s Purple Lot.

Students will arrive in three sessions, the first being those with the last name A-I starting at noon and ending at 12:35 p.m. The second session will be from 12;35 to 1:10 p.m. with the last names J-R. Lastly, the third session with the last names of S-Z will arrive from 1:10-1:45 to receive their cap and gowns.

There is only one car allowed per senior to prevent overcrowding and the administration is encouraging that cars are decorated with their students’ names labeled on the windshield of their car. Cars will pull up to the appropriate table (by their last name) and pop their trunk so items can be put into the trunk of the car. 

Senior parade

Students will enter the parade after getting their belongings from the Purple Lot at U of L.  Cars will enter through the senior parking lot and proceed with the parade.

There will be signs and chalk for driving directions. The staff is encouraging that cars are decorated with signs, balloons and other forms of decor. Teachers will be along the parade route to help cheer on the seniors as they say goodbye to Manual.

Mr. Zuberer will be playing the music playlist made by the senior leaders while the procession occurs. Students, staff and parents must follow the guidelines and rules of engagement to make this as smooth as possible.

Copy of Rules of Engagement here.

Virtual graduation ceremony

On May 27th at 9 a.m., the class of 2020 will have their virtual graduation ceremony. Every graduating senior’s name will be read and shown in a photo slideshow. Students are encouraged to watch the event from home in their caps and gowns and post photos using the hashtag #JCPSClassof2020.

The event will be live-streamed on the JCPS YouTube channel and also saved for families to watch at a later date.