Class of 2020 honored with virtual graduation ceremony

Early this morning, JCPS hosted a virtual graduation ceremony honoring Manual’s class of 2020. The virtual ceremony started at 9 a.m. with Mr. Farmer giving opening remarks about the recent school year and noting the class of 2020’s achievements and accomplishments, also stating the diversity of the Senior class:

• 11 students in the class are the first to graduate high school in their family
  • 40 students are the first to go to college in their family. 
  • The class of 2020 had 192 Valedictorians this year, a record number.
  • 404 students graduating with a 3.0 weighted GPA, or “B” average.
  • Numerous first-generation Americans
  • 33 National-Merit Semifinalist
  • 38 students attended the Governor’s Scholars Program
  • 38 students attended the Kentucky Governor’s School for the Arts

Mr. Farmer concluded with a farewell to the senior class.

“The class of 2020 is not only a spirited class but also a distinguished one at that. Congratulations!” Farmer said.

Next, Senior Class President Patrick Harper gave his final speech.

“Like every fantastic movie, there are those last few seconds in which the story wraps up, the song begins to swell before the credits roll and there’s that closing picture, almost perfect. We are living in those last few seconds of our high school story, envelope yourself in that song you play after this is over, dance with your family, and say hello to the next journey you’re about to embark on,” Harper said.

The ceremony concluded with the reading of every graduating student’s name, done by assistant principals Mr. Kuhn and Mr. Crady (YPAS); a picture slideshow followed.

Earlier this week, the class of 2020 Instagram began posting their farewells. This included a “last lecture” from Mrs. Slagle, a Key Note Address from senior Ella Cullen, and one final speech from seniors Kaden Fisher and Angelina Atieh.

JCPS will be hosting virtual ceremonies for all high schools in the district. The full ceremony can be found on the JCPS youtube page.