Upperclassmen share their top AP exam tips

Ofelia Mattingly

AP exams will take place at school through May 2nd through the 13th, which is two months away. Upperclassmen offer tips and suggestions when preparing for the AP exams. Graphic by Ofelia Mattingly.

Ofelia Mattingly

The 2022 AP exams will be administered in-person (pencil and paper format) from May 2-13 during school days. Only the AP Chinese and AP Japanese exams will be taken digitally.

Morning exams will begin between 8 a.m. and 9 a.m., while afternoon exams will begin between noon and 1 p.m. It’s to be noted that some tests may run after school hours, so students must be aware of and plan their transportation accordingly. The College Board has posted the dates, start times and length of each exam on their website. There will also be later testing dates available for students who miss their original testing date. If you have any additional questions, Ms. Romans, Manual’s AP coordinator, can be contacted here

AP classes that require digital portfolios (such as AP Seminar, AP Research and AP Computer Science Principles) must be submitted by May 2. Those in AP Art and Design must submit their portfolios by the date their AP instructor set.

May is just two months away and most students are wrapping up what’s to know before the big day. We’ve asked a few seasoned AP test takers for their top tips to keep in mind when exam season officially rolls around.

Make a study schedule

Create a schedule for yourself a month prior to your exam date. This will ensure you are on track with your AP course and that you’re getting a sufficient amount of studying time before the examinations start. 

“Start studying at a minimum 2 weeks in advance,” Mia Sellers (12, HSU) said. 

Eat well

Healthy eating improves your concentration and focus, especially when dealing with events that involve critical thinking. Make sure not to skip breakfast and that what you’re fueling your body with is of substance and nutrient density. Mayo Clinic offers some suggestions of what to eat to make sure your focus is at its peak.

Get enough sleep 

According to the Center of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), getting the right amount of sleep improves concentration, focus and academic performance. Students should take this knowledge to heart and really be mindful of their sleep schedule. 

“Get sleep! I know everyone says it, but it’s so important,” Emily Burns (11, YPAS) said.

Do not stress

Stress is a reaction triggered by an event that causes emotional or physical tension. This can lead to forgetting specific content or not getting an ample amount of sleep because you’re up all night worrying. Do not overwork yourself and stay calm. Focus on what you can and cannot control, as well as some stress reduction tips that benefit you. 

“Passing or failing do not define you,” Aleea Engle (12, HSU) said, “Study but don’t overwork yourself.”

College credit

Make sure you find out if the college you want to or have interest in attending takes that certain AP credit. Not every college takes AP credit or can ensure it will count beneficially towards your degree. Oftentimes a score higher than merely passing (3) is required from that institution in order to gain credit. Find out ahead of time, so you can avoid wasting your time and money. 

“See if the colleges you want go to even accept that AP,” Anthony Vu (12, HSU) said.

These suggestions from upperclassmen can come in handy. Make sure to get a sufficient amount of sleep, nutrient dense food and above all don’t let the exams or scores dictate your well-being. Good luck!