We tell stories that matter.

Manual RedEye

We tell stories that matter.

Manual RedEye

We tell stories that matter.

Manual RedEye

Support Us
$1005
$2500

Your donation will support the student journalists of duPont Manual High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Crimsons emerge on top in football season opener against Central

Ava Blair
Zahron “Zeek” Washburn (#22, 12) running the ball. Photo by Ava Blair

Manual held its first home game of the season under the Friday night lights, where the Crimsons beat the Central Yellowjackets 26-0. 

First Half:

The game started with a kickoff from Manual to Central and on the first play the Yellowjackets fumbled the ball, giving the Crimsons possession. 

The Crimsons were unable to score a touchdown, and with a 4th down on the 11-yard line, Parker Friedman (#53, 11) kicked a field goal, bringing the score to 3-0. 

Both teams struggled to keep possession due to fumbles and the first quarter ended with Central’s Cortez Stone (#8, 11) pass to Amontez “Koolaid” Woolfolk (#1, 11) being batted away by the Manual defense. 

In the second quarter, Manual quarterback Eli Creech (#10, 12) threw a pass intercepted by Central’s Justin Brents (#11, 11). Brents made it to the end zone; however, there was a flag on the play, resulting in no touchdown. 

This flag resulted in a safety by the Crimsons, making the score 5-0. 

Later in the second quarter, Manual had a 2nd down at the 10-yard line. The Crimsons’ quarterback, Creech, ran for a touchdown, and with an extra point made by Friedman, Manual was up 12-0. 

Central had multiple 1st downs, but the Crimsons’ defense was able to hold them until the end of the first half. 

“Defensively I thought we played really really well,” Head Coach, Josh Gillispie, said.

Second Half:

Manual started the second half with possession as Creech connected with Cameron Jessee (#19, 11) and Coryon Alston (#3, 12) for multiple first downs.

Runningback, Zahron “Zeek” Washburn (#22, 12), carried the ball to the 10-yard line. From there, Creech took over with a run into the end zone for a touchdown. This, along with the extra point completion, made the score 19-0.

On the next drive, Central fumbled but was able to regain possession. The Yellowjackets, however, were stopped by Jessee and the Manual defense. 

At the start of the fourth quarter, Central fumbled once again around their own 20-yard line. The ball was picked up by Jessee, who ran for a touchdown and gave the Crimsons a 26-0 lead. 

Towards the end of the game Central had multiple runs for first downs, but the Manual defense was once again able to hold them off.

During the Crimsons last drive, Creech’s pass was tipped and intercepted by Central’s Jaylon Benning Wyatt (#10, 10) leading to Yellowjackets’ ball possession. 

The game ended with a final score of 26-0 and the Crimsons came out on top in their first home game of the season.

“It feels amazing,” Jessee said, about the season and then energy, “I’ve been waiting a year for it.”

The Crimsons face off against Central Hardin this Friday at 7:30 pm.

About the Contributors
Scarlett Frisbie
Scarlett Frisbie, Staffer
Scarlett Frisbie is a staffer for Manual RedEye. You can contact her at [email protected].
Ava Blair
Ava Blair, Sports Editor
Ava Blair is the sports editor for Manual RedEye this year. She enjoys sports photography, watching NFL football, listening to Taylor Swift and playing lacrosse. You can contact her at [email protected].