We tell stories that matter.

Manual RedEye

We tell stories that matter.

Manual RedEye

We tell stories that matter.

Manual RedEye

Support Us
$1005
$2500

Your donation will support the student journalists of duPont Manual High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Crimsons narrowly defeat Saint Xavier

Ava Blair
The Crimsons offense lining up for a play.

On Friday night, the Crimsons defeated the Saint Xavier Tigers with a last-minute touchdown. The final score was 37-36.

First Half:

The game started with a kickoff from the Crimsons to the Tigers. On the first play of the game, Davis Yates (#26, 12) scored for the Tigers. The extra point was complete and the score was 7-0.

The Crimsons then got the ball and Gerian Traynor (#34, 10) scored for the Crimsons on their first set of downs. The extra point was completed and the score was tied 7-7.

The Manual defense was able to hold off the Tigers. The Crimsons were stopped on fourth down and opted to kick a field goal, making the score 10-7. 

Kyle Krupp (#2, 11) scored a touchdown for the Tigers on the next drive, which made the score 14-10, Saint Xavier leading.

Manual was not able to score on the next drive and gave the ball up to the Tigers, who were able to score a field goal. The score was 17-10.

However, right before the end of the half, Zeek Washburn (#22, 12) was able to score for the Crimsons. The game was tied 17-17 going into halftime.

“No matter what the score was or what quarter it was in, the energy was positive,” Head Coach Josh Gillispie said.

Second Half:

The Crimsons got the ball to start the second half but were not able to score. The Tigers were able to get a field goal, making the score 20-17. 

When the Tigers got the ball again, quarterback Trevor Havill (#10, 12) ran for a touchdown, extending their lead to 27-17.

However, the Crimsons began to catch up, with a touchdown, making the score 24-27. The Tigers also scored another field goal so the score was 24-30. 

With three minutes left in the game, Traynor scored again for the Crimsons and the extra point was good, making the score 31-30.

The Tigers got the ball back for one final possession and converted for a first down. Havill connected with Marlon Harbin (#6, 10) for a touchdown with 33 seconds left in the game. The Tigers went for a two-point conversion but were unsuccessful, meaning the score was 31-36.

The Crimsons got the ball back with around 30 seconds left and Creech was able to connect with tight end Cameron Jessee (#19, 11) for a 20-yard pass. The Crimsons were inching closer to the end zone, when a holding was called, setting them back to the 15-yard line. 

A few plays later, pass interference was called on the Tigers’ defense, so the Crimsons got a first down with 0.9 seconds left. Creech connected with Washburn for a game-winning touchdown. 

“It really means a lot to me because in my four years of playing high school football, we have never beat Saint X,” Washburn said about scoring the game-winning touchdown.

Manual goes on the road next Friday, Oct. 13 to face off against PRP at 7:30 pm.

About the Contributor
Ava Blair
Ava Blair, Sports Editor
Ava Blair is the sports editor for Manual RedEye this year. She enjoys sports photography, watching NFL football, listening to Taylor Swift and playing lacrosse. You can contact her at [email protected].