Support Us
$1005
$2500

Your donation will support the student journalists of duPont Manual High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Manual bowling teams come runner-up in regionals, advancing to state

Lydia Adams
The girls’ bowing team huddling before the regional match. Photo by Lydia Adams

On Saturday and Sunday, the Manual girls’ and boys’ bowling teams competed in the Region 4 Tournament. Both teams finished as runner-ups in the region and will move on to the Kentucky State Bowling Championship.

The girls’ team totaled a score of 901, 37 points behind first-place Sacred Heart, who scored 938. The Crimsons, however, scored over one hundred more points than third-place finishers, the rival Male Bulldogs, who scored 787. The fourth place team was Eastern with 776 and Brown finished fifth with 552. 

The team tournament begins with a qualifying round, followed by a seeded bracket in which number two Manual faced number three Male in the first round. They defeated the Bulldogs and went on to face number one Sacred Heart in the second and final round, but lost so ended up finishing behind the Valkyries to end in second place in the region.

The boys’ team competed on Sunday, scoring 1110 and also coming in second behind Trinity who scored 1348. They will also advance to the State Championship.  

Earlier in the week, Manual players also competed in the Region 4 Singles division of the tournament. Losha Hunt (12, HSU) finished second overall with 1067, and Cole Seraphine (10, HSU) placed eighth with 867 in the boys’ singles. The top four finishers, including Hunt, will compete in the State Championship for singles. 

In the girls’ singles competition, Olivia Kunkle (11, VA) placed second with a score of 945 and will represent the Crimsons at state along with Lily Kilgore (11, HSU) who placed fourth with a score of 842. Riley Roberts (11, J&C) also placed in the top ten, scoring 838 and coming in sixth. 

“It was a bit of a struggle at the beginning, but as the day went on the team became more comfortable. We pulled through to get second and I’m so proud of everyone’s performance during it,” Kilgore said.

Manual also competed in the adapted division, where Dallana Orantes-Herrarte (11, HSU) placed first in the Region 4 Tournament and will advance to state as well. 

Finally, in the unified division, Hunt competed with Clayton Cahill (10, HSU), beating an Eastern team in the final round of the bracket by a score of 106-131 and finishing first, also advancing to state.

Hunt, Cahill, Kunkle, Orantes-Herrarte and Kilgore, as well as both the girls’ and boys’’ teams, will represent Manual at the State Championship on February 5-7 at Kingpin Lanes in Jeffersontown, Kentucky.

Lydia Adams
Lydia Adams, Staffer
Lydia Adams is a sports staffer on RedEye. In her free time, she likes to run, read, and watch a lot of sports. Her favorite teams and Louisville and the Cincinnati Bengals. You can contact her at [email protected].