JV boys’ basketball efficiently defeats Fern Creek

Katie Dikes
Manual’s defense spread out on the floor, covering Fern Creek players. Photo by Katie Dikes

The JV boys’ basketball team defeated Fern Creek on Monday, with a final score of 64-28. 

First Half: 

Fern Creek started off the game with strong momentum with a lot of turnovers and steals. The Crimsons called a timeout and Fern Creek had their largest lead of the game by seven points during the timeout. 

After the timeout, Manual gained some momentum of their own and scored their first points. Geoffrey Njogu (#4, 10) then scored a layup a few plays later, cutting Fern Creek’s lead to one point. 

A foul on Manual helped Fern Creek maintain their lead, but the Crimsons followed back with more baskets of their own, including the first three-pointer by Corey Chapman (#3, 10). Both Manual and Fern Creek had multiple turnovers and steals, with the momentum going back and forth before the first quarter came to a close. Manual led Fern Creek, 15-11.

To start off the second quarter, there were more turnovers and stolen passes, as well as some tripping, allowing both teams to bring the ball down the basket relatively easily. However, Manual was the first to score during the second quarter and went on a six-point streak before a timeout was called a third of the way through the quarter by Fern Creek. 

The timeout did not stop the Crimsons as Xavier Cosby (#5, 10) shot the Crimsons’ second three-pointer of the night. Then, Mark Woods (#15, 10) stole a pass and went down to the basket and scored an easy layup. 

Another timeout was called by Fern Creek shortly before the half, but Manual had increased their lead by 16. The Crimsons were able to score a few more points before halftime and went into the half winning, 31-13

Though putting up an impressive score in the first half, Head Coach Jaelyn Maxey said that “early starts” are something for the team to improve upon. “We need to get hit in the mouth first in order for us to respond instead of us just having that sense of urgency to let the game start.”

Second Half: 

The beginning of the third quarter was a relatively slow start for both teams until Woods shot a three-pointer. Both teams also made a few trips to the free-throw line during the third quarter. 

One instance was when Chapman went for a jump shot, and made it, but was fouled in the process. Chapman then missed the three-point opportunity, but it was rebounded by the Crimsons, ultimately allowing Will Thompson (#30, 9) to score the Crimsons’ third three-pointer of the game. 

Following that, Ahmad Shelton (#11, 10) shot a floater, kickstarting Manual’s scoring streak. Almost immediately after, Chapman had another floater off a steal. Manual led Fern Creek 51-20 at the end of the quarter.

Woods was able to score first for the Crimsons during the fourth quarter. A few more trips to the free-throw line only increased Manual’s lead. Another three-pointer was also made by Manual.

With a very large lead, the Crimsons were relaxed and composed as the game came to an end. The Crimsons scored a few more baskets before the buzzer, beating Fern Creek 64-28. 

“We need to come out and play duPont Manual basketball, which is high energy [and] high effort,” Maxey said.

The JV boys’ basketball team will play again on February 12 at Butler.

Katie Dikes
Katie Dikes, Staffer
Katie Dikes is a staffer on Manual RedEye. She loves to write about all things sports, as well as covering Manual athletic events. In her spare time, she loves to listen to 80's music, watch any and everything sports-related, bake, binge Netflix, and read cheesy romance novels. You can contact her at [email protected].