Justice Decker (#1, 11) doing the tip-off during the boys game against Male. Photo by Ava Blair
Justice Decker (#1, 11) doing the tip-off during the boys’ game against Male. Photo by Ava Blair
Ava Blair

Crimsons dominate in basketball rivalry games

On Friday night, the varsity girls’ and boys’ basketball teams defeated Male in the annual rivalry game. The girls played first followed by the boys’ team. The Dazzlers dance team performed for the last time this year during the boys’ halftime.

Girls:

The game started slow with multiple turnovers and fouls. However, Electra Lovely-Tolbert (#4, 11) got the game going for the Crimsons with a three-pointer followed by a two-pointer. 

A timeout was called with less than five minutes left in the first quarter and the score was 9-8 with the Crimsons in the lead. Lovely-Tolbert continued dominating and the first quarter ended in a tie with a score of 17-17. 

At the start of the second quarter, Lovely-Tolbert got a steal and passed the ball to Ashlinn James (#13, 10) for a layup. London Sweeney (#11, 12) then blocked a shot and dribbled down the court to score. Brooklyn Davis (#24, 10) scored a final three-pointer to end the half. The Crimsons were up 31-28 going into halftime.

“We stayed together, we got ourselves together. We knew there was going to be a big crowd show out,” Sweeney said, about the team during the game.

James continued scoring layups throughout the third quarter and was fouled by Male. The Crimsons dominated offensively during the third quarter with shots by James, Lovely-Tolbert and Alana Smith (#25, 12). The score was 40-34 at the end of the third quarter.

Smith and James continued working together and dominating during the fourth quarter. Sweeney and James both went two for two on free throws during this quarter. The Crimsons continued dominating offensively and shutting down the Bulldogs on offense. 

The final score was 64-48 with the Lady Crimsons getting the win.

Boys:

The game started strong for the Crimsons with a three-pointer by Ryan Shene (#4, 12). Jared Tuvlin (#20, 12) then made a layup with an assist from Joshua Darst (#13, 12). Justice Decker (#1, 11) made a three-pointer followed by a steal and layup from Shene. 

The Crimsons performed strongly from the paint and three-point line during the first quarter. The Crimsons had a significant lead at the end of the first quarter, the score being 23-15. 

Both teams had a lot of turnovers during the second quarter. However, Decker, Shene and Darst continued to score for the Crimsons. 

At half, the score was 36-21 with the Crimsons leading.

“We knew we had to come out ready to go but we came into the game thinking we were going to win,” Head Coach Miquel Coleman said.

The second half started with Male having back-to-back turnovers which the Crimsons were able to capitalize on. Decker and Darst both scored off these turnovers. 

The Crimsons continued to score but the Bulldogs began to catch up. The score was 51-42 going into the final quarter. 

The Rams had a 6-0 run with Daren Wells (#2, 12) scoring a three-pointer. The Crimsons continued to grow their lead with dynamic offensive possessions. 

The final score was 70-46, the Crimsons pulling out a rivalry win. 

“It feels great, we lost last year but we back this year baby,” Wells said, about beating rivals Male.

About the Contributor
Ava Blair
Ava Blair, Sports Editor
Ava Blair is the sports editor for Manual RedEye this year. She enjoys sports photography, watching NFL football, listening to Taylor Swift and playing lacrosse. You can contact her at [email protected].