Boys’ lacrosse falls to Woodford

Luca Bowling (#37, 12) doing the face-off against a Woodford player. Photo by Lydia Adams
Luca Bowling (#37, 12) doing the face-off against a Woodford player. Photo by Lydia Adams
Lydia Adams

The boys’ lacrosse team took the field for their second game of the season on Tuesday which was a home matchup against the Woodford County High School Yellowjackets. The Yellowjackets’ offense proved too much for the Crimsons, as they lost with a final score of 13-4. 

1st Half:

Woodford had a strong start in the first quarter, scoring twice in the first three minutes, with two more goals soon following. The Yellowjackets were able to overcome the Crimson defense and get out to an early lead. 

However, late in the first quarter, the Crimson offense began to pick up. Their first goal came from Charlie Rose (#22, 10) around eight minutes in. 

To begin the second quarter, the Crimson offense became more active, but they still struggled to score. Woodford continued to pressure and scored another goal.

 Manual’s Luca Bowling (#37, 12) had two close shots before scoring the Crimsons’ second goal of the game with 7:25 left in the second quarter. 

This was quickly followed by another Woodford goal, prompting Manual to call a timeout near the four-minute mark, the score being 7-2. 

Crimson goalie Eli Robinson (#30, 11) had multiple saves in the final minutes of the half, but Woodford was able to score once again, going into the half with an 8-2 lead.

2nd Half:

Both offenses got off to a hot start in the second half. Woodford scored around the 8:50 mark, and Manual’s Noah Stewart (#15,12) responded with a goal of his own. 

Manual followed this with aggressive defense in the coming minutes, with defensive pressure from Stewart and saves from Robinson. 

However, the momentum the Crimsons had at the beginning of the third quarter was soon squashed when Manual received a delay of game penalty and Woodford scored back-to-back goals around the 5 and 6-minute marks. 

While Robinson continued to stop some goals, Woodford was able to overpower the Crimson defense and head into the 4th quarter with a 12-3 lead. 

The 4th quarter was not as offense-heavy as the first three, but the Crimsons could not overcome their deficit. The Yellowjackets scored at the 6:40 mark, but Robinson was able to stop the rest of their scoring attempts. 

The Crimson’s final goal came with around six minutes left, the second goal delivered by Stewart. The teams entered into a stalemate for the rest of the quarter, with Stewart’s goal being the last of both teams. 

The final score was 13-4 with Woodford claiming the win against the Crimsons. The Crimsons’ next game is against Christian Academy on Friday, March 15 at Manual Stadium.

About the Contributor
Lydia Adams, Staffer
Lydia Adams is a sports staffer on RedEye. In her free time, she likes to run, read, and watch a lot of sports. Her favorite teams and Louisville and the Cincinnati Bengals. You can contact her at [email protected].
Leave a Comment
Donate to Manual RedEye
Our Goal

Donations are collected through The Publishers, duPont Manual High School’s booster club for J&C. Your donation will support the student journalists of duPont Manual High School. Your contribution will provide equipment and cover annual website hosting costs.

More to Discover
Donate to Manual RedEye
Our Goal

Comments (0)

Any comments that are attributed, related and meaningful to the story will be approved. We reserve the right to decline anonymous comments.
All Manual RedEye Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *