Varsity softball defeats North Bullitt

Kenleigh Cates (#7, 10) batting. Photo by Scarlett Frisbie
Scarlett Frisbie

On Tuesday evening, the duPont Manual Lady Crimsons varsity team defeated the North Bullitt Eagles 8-5.

The Lady Crimsons started the game with Bella Newell (#44, 9) pitching.

The Eagles had several walks to first base before striking out. 

When it was finally the Crimson’s time to hit, Savannah Renn (#23, 9) was up first and was able to walk to first base. She then ran to second then third base, all were safe. 

After Newell and Natalie Piccirilli (#27, 12) both struck out, Payton Russell (#4, 9) hit a fly ball and made it to second base safely. Crimson’s Renn and Bailey Fetcher (#10, 9) took their opportunity and ran to home base thanks to the flying ball from Russell.  

Piccirilli and Fetcher brought the Crimsons to a 2-0  lead going into the second inning. 

Once it was the Eagles’ turn to bat again, the Lady Crimsons were on a roll with their defense. The Crimsons, led by Fetcher and Piccirilli, quickly got three outs. The Eagles did not give up the inning without a fight though. They managed to put 2 points on the scoreboard before the Crimsons would bat, making the score tied 2-2.

After a strikeout to start their inning, Manual’s Kenleigh Cates (#7, 10) had a huge hit to the outfield. This allowed herself and teammate, Lily Kilgore (#30, 11), to run safely to home base, putting the Crimsons back into the lead at 4-2.  

In the third inning, the Manual Crimsons once again showcase their great defense with great plays from both Newell and Kelsey Sharma (#17, 10). This results in three outs for the North Bullitt Eagles. 

Fetcher had another successful run, one to home base, which brought Manual’s lead to 5-2. 

Almost immediately after Fetcher’s point, Manual’s Jordyn McAlmont (#42, 10) hit a home run, resulting in Riley Borders (#22, 11) safely running to home base as well. This gave the Crimsons an even bigger lead – 8-2. 

The fourth inning started with a North Bullitt home run, bringing the score to 8-3 with the Crimsons still in the lead. The Eagles were able to score two more runs, making the final score 8-5.

Scarlett Frisbie
Scarlett Frisbie, Staffer
Scarlett Frisbie is a staffer for Manual RedEye. You can contact her at [email protected].