A Manual summer rewind

Since Labor Day typically represents the unofficial end of summer, we are looking back at some of the things students did this summer, from internships to music festivals.

Travel and education

Anna Morgan (11, MST) got the opportunity to travel to Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas for a NASA internship.

Anna Morgan (11, MST) posing with her fellow internship members in front of the NASA Johnson Space Center.

There were 60 people that split into groups of four to eight people, each group assigned a mentor. Each group got assigned a special project related to taking a trip to Mars.

The program’s mission is to guide students into career paths related to astronomy, engineering, and technology.

“It really helped me decide what type of engineering I want to go into and career path I want to pursue,” Morgan said. “The people we got to work with were amazing and even though they were higher up mentors, they took the time to work with high schoolers which I thought was really cool.”

Natalie Milliken (11, HSU) also got an educational opportunity to travel. She attended the Miami of Ohio Summer Scholars Program, where you go to the university to take college-level classes based on the module you’re in. She did a psychology module and took classes on psychology that you would usually take in college.

Natalie Milliken (10, HSU) and her friends and classmates at Miami of Ohio University for the Summer Scholars Program.

“What I enjoyed most about [the trip] wasn’t just the hands-on experience but also making some super close friends from all over the country,” Milliken said.

Bible and Beach

One popular destination for Manual students was Bible and Beach. It is a week-long beach retreat where youth members of Southeast Christian Church spend the week at the ocean while also exploring their relationship with God.

View this post on Instagram

DAY TWO WAS A BLAST!

A post shared by SECC HSM (920) (@hsm_920) on

Hannah Welch (10, J&C) poses with her friend in front of the palm trees of Fort Walton Beach, Florida.

Hannah Welch (10, J&C) attended B&B for the second time this past June.

“Bible and Beach is so informative and such a time to grow close with your relationship to the Lord. It helps you explore your connection with God and the path you want to take in the future with Him,” Welch said.

Y- CORPS

Y-CORPS an annual 6-month journey hosted by the YMCA. It starts in February and ends in the summer with a service trip around the region of your choice.

View this post on Instagram

#STTM helping clean up at Greenwood Cemetery yesterday. Our final three #YCorps2019 teams are officially on the road!

A post shared by KY YMCA Youth Assoc. (@kyymca) on

Members are required to have 50 hours of community service and fundraise between $500-$1,250.

Marilyn Buente (11, VA) made a recap video of her experience this year, traveling through the Northern United States.

Forecastle Festival

Another popular spot for Manual students was Louisville’s annual Forecastle Music Festival.

Thousands from all over came July 12th-14th to hear live music and party with their friends over one weekend.

Many popular artists attended, including PlayBoi Carti, Nelly and Maggie Rogers.

Justin Price (10, J&C) attended the festival for the first time this year.

“It was nice to see artists that I really like around people that appreciated their music,” Price said. “My favorite performance was Playboy Carti because of all the energy around me.”

Colin Weaver (12, HSU) recapped his experience at the festival in an Instagram video.

View this post on Instagram

fOrEcAsTLe wAs a MoViE… city boy summer? #forecastle

A post shared by Colin Weaver (@cweav30) on

Featured Image was taken by Marilyn Buente (10,VA).