Crimsons dominate Bulldogs in rivalry field hockey games

Morgan Schmidt

Sophomore Dawson Packwood races to the ball

Ava Blair

The varsity and JV field hockey teams both beat the Male Bulldogs in rivalry games on Thursday night. 

Varsity:

Varsity won the game with a score of 7-0. The team was led by Ellie Neil (#6, 12), who scored three goals for the Rams. Another key player was Julia May (#8, 11), who had four assists and two goals. Lola Kopp (#5, 10) and Taylor Clark (#11, 12) each scored one goal.

Ella Deihl (#16, 12) explained that the team should focus more on the positive things instead of fixating on their mistakes. She still believes the game was an overall success. “During the game as a team I could tell we kept the energy up and didn’t let uncontrollable factors, such as the thick grass, affect our game play.”

JV:

The junior varsity team also won with an impressive score of 9-0. The teams top scorers were Jane Fishback (#22, 10) and Dawson Packwood (#3, 10) with two goals each. The other scorers were Caitlyn Staebler (#35, 9), Claire Dixon (#49, 10) and Naomi Fields (#26, 9). Charlotte Connally (#37, 9) and Fajr Busaleh (#29, 11) also scored one goal each.

“It went pretty well,” Riley Garmon (#52, 10) said, “ We could’ve done more communicating but we did well.” Garmon felt that the team improved since the last game because the team scored more goals worked on shutting out their opponents.

Head coach Olivia Wagner also explained that the team got better since the previous game and pushed through the challenge of playing on a grass field, since their home field is turf. “We did what we were supposed to do, it was great.” 

Freshmen, JV, and varsity will all face off against the Ballard Bruins Saturday at Rachel Baker Field. Freshmen will play at 10 am, followed by JV at 11:30 am and concluding with varsity at 1pm.