The JCPS board convenes for budget discussion.

JCPS board of education approves budget for next fiscal year

Last night, after numerous questions, the JCPS board of education approved the budget for fiscal year 2014-15 on a vote 5-2.

Though every board member asked questions and gave their opinions on the budget, Chris Brady (District 7) and David Jones Jr. (District 2) are the main people to voice concerns over it. They both talked of their lack of understanding of where large portions of the budget were being allocated. This questioning and breakdown of the budget lasted over two hours.

The budget will be a total of approximately 1.3 billion dollars. The majority (84%) will be spent on general funds. The rest will be allocated to smaller sources such as special revenue, building & capital outlay, food service and enterprise funds.

The meeting began with the traditional moment of silence and pledge of allegiance followed by a brief student demonstration of the famous Brown v. Board of Education by Seneca high school students (Ajdin Sabic, Andy Leyva and Azariah Frazier). After this there was a recognition of more than 15 students for their FEA work and then a recognition of JCPS by Jerry Cooper.

A notion was then suggested to move the action items forward by board member David Jones Jr. which passed unanimously. The action items consisted of the budget approval, approval of draft amendment to the district facilities plan and selection hearing officer, and approval of recommendation for repurposing the former Myers facility.