The C-SPAN portable bus squeezed into the courtyard parking lot.

C-SPAN multimedia bus visits Manual

Jacob Keisling (10) takes one of the surveys on the computers inside the bus.

The C-SPAN (Cable-Satellite Public Affairs Network) multimedia bus visited Manual during lunch on Jan. 27 at the invitation of several social studies teachers.

The nationwide school visits, which exist in partnership with Time Warner Cable, aim to promote awareness of C-SPAN as a public utility, according to marketing representative Doug Hemming.

Many students took the opportunity to look around the inside of the bus and some, like Abe Tackett (12, YPAS), had the chance to, “get out of study skills and see something interesting.”

“I got aboard the bus just to explore it,” he said. “I really wasn’t that interested, but I had fun doing something different. My curiosity was satisfied.”

Madan Subheeswar (11) and Kevin Tien (11) interact with one of the many touchscreen computers on the bus.

Some Manual teachers, like Ms. Allison Hunt (Social Studies), are certified as C-SPAN classroom members. Hunt thinks that the visit could help engage students as citizens, especially students who may be unaware of what the network does.

“It’s really an awareness sort of thing,” she said. “Especially in the age of Netflix, it’s good to let students know that services like C-SPAN are out there and get them engaged with government and politics.”