The Past Present Alliance to hold second movie night

The Past Present Alliance will hold its second annual movie night this Thursday, March 19 from 3:30 to 6 p.m. in the auditorium.

The showing is open to all students, regardless of their membership in the club. Some social studies teachers are offering extra credit to students who attend, including Mr. Garrett, Mr. Stevenson, and Mr. Sharp.

The club will show The Help, a film set in 1960s-era Mississippi. Emma Badia (11, HSU), the Past Present Alliance president, said she hopes the film can be used to further dialogue about race among Manual’s student body.

“We hope the movie will spark conversations on how to combat racism and fight prejudice since the movie is relevant to today’s society in many ways,” said Badia.

The Past Present Alliance is a social studies club which serves as the base for Rho Kappa, a nationally recognized social studies honor society, similar to National Honor Society.

Last year the club hosted a movie night showing Lincoln, organized Veteran’s Day celebrations and sponsored field trips to the Frazier Historical Arms Museum.