The ECE class performs an interpretive dance to a video and the song All of Me by John Legend. Photo by Kayla Martin
The ECE class performs an interpretive dance to a video and the song “All of Me” by John Legend. Photo by Kayla Martin

Ms. Finley holds the 15th-annual black history program

On March 19,  hundreds of Manual students attended the annual black history program, “Black History…Our History” in the auditorium. Ms. Nicole Finley (English), the head sponsor, has organized a black history program once a year for the past fifteen years at Manual.

This year, the program featured a variety of performances by Manual students.

Justice Bennett (10, YPAS) played a productive role in the program by directing the movement choir, which featured many students who sang praise songs such as “Total Praise,” and “Jesus is Real.”

“It was an amazing experience. It was a long process, but I think it was worth it,” Bennett said. “It was very enjoyable in the end, and we all had a lot of fun!”

Cameron Carnes (10, YPAS) sang a jazz song by Billy Eckstine titled “Prisoner of Love.”

“This song in particular had everything I wanted to perform. I knew I could add something else to it, and make it more enjoyable to watch,” Carnes said.

Julia Age (12, VA) was one of the many students who attended the program.
“It was an amazing learning experience that really touched my heart and brightened my spirits. All of the artists were incredibly talented and addressed very important topics, some of which still apply to our lives today,” Age said. “I think it brought together students of all types with an enjoyable and empowering ceremony of unity.”