Secretary of Education to visit Manual

Secretary of Education to visit Manual

U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan has announced that he will come to speak at Manual on Thursday, April 23 as part of his visit to Louisville.

Duncan is expected to address to an audience of teachers and parents at 3 p.m. about Kentucky’s upcoming renewal of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act, commonly known as No Child Left Behind.

Duncan is planning on speaking at the YPAS Main Stage, according Mrs. Allison Hunt (Social Studies), the school’s contact for the event. “We also encourage students to attend the event,” Hunt said. Interested students can sign up here.

“I think it’s really cool that’s he’s coming here,” Dr. Matt Kingsley (Administration) said. “Arne Duncan is the highest educational official in the country, and it looks really good for the school that he’s coming here.”

The administration did not directly invite Duncan to visit, according to Kingsley.

“We didn’t invite him or anything,” Kingsley said. “It’s pretty unclear why he chose Manual, but it’s great for the school nonetheless.”

View Comments (2)
$1005
$2500