RedEye’s most-read stories of 2021

Ofelia Mattingly

2021 was a confusing time for students across the United States and presented a difficult situation that everyone had a different attempted solution for. The year began with many students in NTI and then later with an optional transition to a hybrid schedule, before many schools finally returned to fully in-person for the 2021-2022 cycle. This, combined with the pandemic at large and other events, led to a variety of social and educational impacts. 

Here are our top ten 2021 stories ranked by their popularity with our readers.

1. Chinese claims over Taiwan could spark WW3 (1031 views)

Guest contributor Caleb Masterson (9, J&C) wrote an editorial about the possibility of World War III due to rising tensions in the region, and calling on Americans to demand a peace-seeking compromise from our elected officials. Published January 15.

2. “It Could Happen Here” sheds light on how close America is to falling apart (842 views)

Verifying Editor Justin Farris explained how the podcast “It Could Happen Here” gives a multitude of possibilities on how the U.S. could have another civil war. His piece came shortly after the Jan. 6 Capitol attack and captured the torn feelings of many Americans. Published January 26.

3. Manual releases specific guidelines for in-person schooling (784 views)

Photo Director Ofelia Mattingly gave a comprehensive review on the guidelines both JCPS and Manual set for students who chose to return to in-person schooling for the 2020-21 school year. Published February 11.

4. Scheduling classes for 2021-2022 school year (662 views)

Student Life Editor Isabella Bonilla provided information about the scheduling process for students entering the 2021-22 school year. Class scheduling was conducted entirely online. Published March 18.

5. The unseen epidemic in JCPS (633 views)

Manual graduate Forest Clevenger (YPAS, 2019) shed some light on the mental health crisis among students. He specifically covered JCPS policies negatively impacting students’ mental health and provided a thorough action plan to help fix this problem. Published December 2.

6. What to expect as a new year at Manual approaches (616 views)

Editor-in-Chief Molly Gregory published an article right before the beginning of the 2021 school year, detailing new information about registration, mask mandates and the JCPS grading system changes. Published August 2.

7. The portrayal of child abuse in the media (614 views)

Guest contributor Srisha Kanakapura (9, J&C) discussed how the media unethically reports child abuse and provides next to no resources for the audience to detect and prevent this horrible issue. Published January 12.

8. Twenty-eight Manual students earn National Merit Semifinalist title (552 views)

Editor-in-Chief Molly Gregory reported on Manual’s National Merit Semifinalists in this article. Published September 15.

9. OPINION: JCPS’s grading overhaul demonstrates ignorance and poor planning (508 views)

Guest contributor Trenton Schroering (10, HSU) explained his reasoning behind why the new JCPS grading system was, “damaging to the overall wellbeing of the student populace.” Published August 13.

10.  OPINION: Vote to resume in-person learning (506 views)

Giving students the option to return to in-person school was heavily debated within JCPS at the beginning of the year. Many students were having negative ramifications from NTI and plentiful seniors were eager to finish out their high school career at a physical school. Guest Contributor Warren Van Nort (12, MST) argued why students should return to in-person school, which was also co-signed by 21 other students in agreement. Published February 15.

And just for fun, here’s a list of the top ten most-read articles in 2021 that weren’t actually published in 2021:

1. KSP training slideshow quotes Hitler, advocates “ruthless” violence (17849 views, published October 30, 2020)
  2. Black Lives Matter vs. All Lives Matter (10902 views, published September 18, 2020)
  3. Too much homework is damaging to students (5014 views, published September 12, 2019)
  4. Common Halloween costumes that are inherently racist (4170 views, published October 17, 2020)
  5. Three speeches by African-American activists that you need to know (2106 views, published February 11, 2019)
  6. Where do superstitions originate? (1946 views, published September 13, 2019)
  7. Helpful Chrome extensions for virtual learning (1684 views, published September 5, 2020)
  8. Kentucky law enforcement training used video with Nazi symbol (1626 views, published November 30, 2020)
  9. Six ways to become more active in your community (1380 views, published September 24, 2017)
  10. Write your essays and drafts in Comic Sans (1276 views, published October 8, 2020)