Support Us
$1005
$2500

Your donation will support the student journalists of duPont Manual High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

R/W Week: Juniors dominate annual powderpuff game to defeat seniors

Katie Dikes
The junior class huddling during a timeout to make a play.

First Half:

On Wednesday night, the junior and senior girls matched up at Manual Stadium, for the annual Red/White Week powderpuff game. The juniors, scoring two rushing and one passing touchdown, came out on top with a final score of 20-14. 

The juniors utilized their passing game early on, with quarterback Riley Roberts (#10, 11)  completing four of four passes to start the game. After multiple incompletions, the juniors faced fourth and 14 from the 24-yard line. Roberts completed a pass to convert and gain a fresh set of downs at the one-yard line.

“My receivers were amazing tonight,” Roberts said.

After several incomplete passes, the juniors were unable to score as the senior defense caused a stop and forced a turnover on downs.

The seniors began driving down the field and a quarterback rush by Emilia Clemons (#33,12) resulted in a 10-yard run and a first down. However, after multiple first downs off runs, the junior defense intercepted Clemons near the seniors’ 30-yard line.

On the next play, running back/receiver Janie Mundell (#20,11) scored a touchdown off a 23 yard run with 13 minutes left in the half. The juniors successfully completed the two-point conversion on a double reverse from Roberts to Mundell.

“We got some dogs… offense scored when we needed them to score,” junior football player and coach Braydon Underwood said.

The seniors’ next offensive drive was stunted by an interception from junior defender Emma Griffin (#24, 11) who ran the ball back for a touchdown. The senior defense was able to prevent the two-point conversion and the score was now 14-0 with eight minutes left in the half.

With time winding down in the half, Clemons was able to get the senior offense into the red zone with multiple runs and running back/receiver/quarterback Maya Horlander (#18, 12) ran for a touchdown as time expired. The seniors successfully completed the two-point conversion and the score was 14-8 going into the half.

Halftime featured two dance/cheer performances from both a junior and senior male team coached and choreographed by members of the Dazzlers dance team.

Second Half:

The second half featured an electric run game for the seniors. Running back/receiver Cameron Breier (#23, 12) scored on a rushing touchdown early in the second half after multiple 30+ yard runs, but the two-point conversion was no good.

The score held at 14-14 for much of the second half until a long run from Mundell. Down within the 10 yard line, a pass from Roberts to running back Mia Bajic (#1, 11) resulted in the juniors’ third touchdown of the night. 

“The dynamic duo was me and Mia Bajic. She was running back, I was quarterback, and we made some plays, getting that going,” Roberts said.

With the score being 20-14, the defenses played a crucial role in the latter half of the game. While the seniors were able to get multiple drives moving, a sack and a batted pass by the junior defense resulted in two turnovers on downs.

“When the defense needed to come in clutch, we made sure the defense came in clutch,” Underwood said.

With less than three minutes remaining, a holding penalty on the junior defense and another 30 yard run by Breier had the seniors down at the ten yard line. An incomplete pass and an offsides penalty on the juniors resulted in a fresh set of downs for the seniors at the five.

However, several runs failed to reach the endzone and the juniors were able to stop the seniors. Roberts kneeled on the 1 yard line as time expired, defeating the seniors with a final score of 20-14.

“We got some speed demons, we got athletes. Got the best junior team in the state,” Underwood exclaimed.

About the Contributors
Lydia Adams
Lydia Adams, Staffer
Lydia Adams is a sports staffer on RedEye. In her free time, she likes to run, read, and watch a lot of sports. Her favorite teams and Louisville and the Cincinnati Bengals. You can contact her at [email protected].
Katie Dikes
Katie Dikes, Staffer
Katie Dikes is a staffer on Manual RedEye. She loves to write about all things sports, as well as covering Manual athletic events. In her spare time, she loves to listen to 80's music, watch any and everything sports-related, bake, binge Netflix, and read cheesy romance novels. You can contact her at [email protected].
Kaelin Gaydos
Kaelin Gaydos, Editor in Chief
Kaelin Gaydos is the Editor In Chief of Manual RedEye. You can contact her at [email protected].