Manual hosts pep rally to highlight student success

Abby Prather
Dr. Newman and Mr. Hartlage (Health) during the pep rally dodgeball game. Photo by Abby Prather

Earlier this week, Manual hosted a pep rally to honor recent student successes. The pep rally took place after a presentation from the American Heart Association highlighting the importance of heart health and informing students about the negative effects of vaping.

The pep rally began with acknowledging Manual’s recent state champions. First, Dallana Orantes-Herrate (11, HSU) was recognized as the 2024 Adapted Bowling State Champion. With her victory, she defeated the three-time back-to-back champion. 

Next, the Esports team was recognized for their three state championship titles, in Super Smash Bros, Rocket League, and League of Legends. 

Lastly, the Dazzlers were recognized for their first-ever state double title, coming in first with both their Hip-Hop and their Game Day routine. The senior Dazzlers will leave the program as four-time state champions. 

After the celebration of state championships, the annual Mr. and Ms. Manual prestigious awards were accepted by Olivia Ashley (YPAS, 12) and Trenton Schroering (HSU, 12). These students were nominated and chosen by Manual faculty to be honored for their leadership, involvement, and spirit throughout their four years of high school. 

A special musical guest, Marzz, was brought out afterward. Marzz is a local Louisville R&B singer who has been on tour with artists such as Jack Harlow and Bryson Tiller. 

After a short performance from Mars, a dodgeball battle between Manual students and staff commenced. In the first round, the students were ahead for the majority of the game. The boundaries shrank with seven students, and only two staff members remaining. Braydon Underwood (11, HSU) and Willis Nofsinger (11, HSU) ultimately lead the students to their first victory. 

The students won the second round of dodgeball with a fierce one-against-one ending to conclude Manual’s 2024 student success rally.

About the Contributors
Stella Kolers
Stella Kolers, Staffer
Stella Kolers is a sophomore staffer for Manual RedEye. She enjoys playing volleyball, listening to music, and spending time with her friends. You can contact her at [email protected].
Abby Prather
Abby Prather, Staffer
Abby Prather is a staffer for Manual RedEye on the video team. When she’s not creating videos she enjoys prowling the city, protecting Gotham’s citizens from vicious criminals, avenging the death of her parents, and living in a mansion with her butler, Alfred. (Real Not Fake) (NOT CLICKBAIT!!!) You can contact her at [email protected].